Saturday, January 13, 2024

Little Monsters/Wild Game

Adrienne Brodeur is an author with a connection to Cape Cod. I started reading her memoir, Wild Game, which oddly enough documents her unorthodox relationship with her mother, while I was waiting for her novel Little Monsters to become available. I like her writing style which is descriptive but not overblown. 

Finally Little Monsters arrived on my kindle, and I took it to jury duty on December 20, 2023. (That’s a story for another day! Warning: it involves a transvestite lawyer drunk driving, and an overcrowded, pre-holiday courthouse.) 

Fast forward to Saturday of the glorious MLK long weekend, I finished reading about the hellishly dysfunctional Gardner family on a day that began with a blustery thunderstorm that morphed into a balmy, windswept, blue-sky day.


Now I can get back to Wild Game: My Mother, Her Secret, and Me and reawaken some “mama trauma” of my own.

What makes this book so disturbing is that it recounts a true story. The people are real, and their actions are appalling. Here is the author's mother’s obituary from the Cape Cod Times.





No comments:

Post a Comment